The inspiration for this super easy flax seed granola was my husband Eric, who is on a pretty intense rock climbing training program. And when I say intense, I mean really intense. I’m talking hour long workouts both at the climbing gym and here at home on our climbing wall.
I have been thinking of easy ways to add a few more healthy snacks around the house for him (and myself) and decided to make a big ole’ batch of some light granola. This granola can curb his sweet tooth (and my sweet tooth) and fill him up with a bit less sugar at the same time. I think it turned out fantastic. A lightly honey sweet flavor with a hint of pumpkin, coconut and bursts of tartness from the dried cherries. You can customize this recipe by using whatever nuts and seeds you have on hand and my adding your favorite dried fruits. But give this combination a try…you wont be sorry.
After it bakes and cools you can crumble it to your desired style, I like big chunky granola, so I keep it a little chunky. It’s so easy, just takes a bit of time and attention to the details for stand out results.
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 4 Tbls brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup toasted flaxseeds
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 cup whole almonds
- ⅔ cup dried cherries
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven at 250 degrees and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine oats, brown sugar, sea salt and pumpkin pie spice. Mix to combine well to blend sugar and spice.
- Add in nuts and seeds. Mix well to combine.
- In a small microwave proof bowl melt coconut oil and honey for 10-20 seconds or until coconut oil is completely liquid and smooth.
- Add honey-oil mix to oat mix and using your hands mix well until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread granola mix evenly onto prepared sheet pan. Make sure to get nice even layer.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes making sure to pull granola out and stirring around every 15-20 mins.
- After 1 hour 15 minutes of cooking, remove granola from oven and raise the temperature to 350 degrees. Drizzle the remaining ¼ cup of honey evenly over baked granola and add in dried cherries. Stir with a spoon to evenly mix cherries and honey.
- Return the baking pan to oven and bake for an additional 15 mins.
- Remove granola from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Break up granola and store in airtight container. Will keep for up to 4 weeks.