Classic Tres Leches Cake
Super easy, traditional Mexican Tres Leches Cake, was a cake I’d never tried. That was until a work friend from Mexico, gave me a family recipe. So of course I had to try it. It kind of reminds me of the days of eating a Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies dipped in a glass of ice cold milk. Which is something that I still love to do, but my lactose reaction keeps me away. Light fluffy cake soaking up a sweet creamy milk syrup. Just yummers.
Perfect for Cinco De Mayo
After telling my friend that I had never had Tres Leches Cake she shared her recipe. I tested it against a few others that I found online and as a result found this version to be the best. The cake in this recipe whips up light and airy. And the syrup, which was pretty standard with all the recipes I looked at. Thick, rich, sweet and milky poured all over it after it cools, makes it sweet, moist and oh so delicious. Additionally, I find that the longer it sits the better it gets!
I tweaked a few steps and ingredients to find what I think is a pretty darn good cake. I was told that traditionally this cake is usually served at family birthday parties. While there are no birthdays here today this cake is a perfect spring treat for our friends this weekend. Also considering the last few days have been gloriously warm and sunny here in L.A., and it just happens to be Cinco De Mayo, I’m certain you will absolutely love this Tres Leches Cake, as we do. Enjoy
For the Cake:
- 1 cup Cake Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 5 large Eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup Sugar, divided
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Whole Milk
For the Milk Syrup
- 1-12oz can of Evaporated Milk
- 1-14oz can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 cup Half and Half or the mix I used:
- 1/2 cup of Milk + 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
For the Whipped Cream Frosting
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- pinch of Cream of Tartar
- 3 Tbls of Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º. Prepare a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine cake flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together to combine and set aside.
- Separate eggs and in the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, whip egg whites until they are bubbly and frothy. Add in Cream of Tartar and continue whipping on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add in 1/4 cup of sugar and continue to beat until peaks are stiff but not dry.
- In another medium bowl beat yolks and sugar together on high until pale yellow and double in size. Stir in vanilla and milk and mix gently until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to the egg yolks and fold in just until all of the flour is moistened.
- Gently fold in reserved egg whites until just combined, do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Smooth out batter evenly and gently tap the pan on your counter a couple of times to get it smooth and release any large bubbles.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back when gently pressed. Allow to cool in pan on a cooling rack for at least 30 mins.
- While cake bakes, in a large pitcher (or anything large with a pour spout) combine the syrup milks and vanilla. Mix well until well combined and the condensed milk has incorporated.
- Once the cake has cooled completely using a thin knife go all around the edge of the cake to release it from the pan. This makes it easier for the milk syrup to get all around the edges. Take a fork or skewer and pierce the entire cake with holes. Slowly pour milk syrup all around entire surface of the cake. Make sure to slowly pour over the cake edges. If the syrup starts to run of wait a few seconds for it to soak in then pour more syrup.
- Refrigerate the cake at least 30 minutes to absorb milk syrup.
- To make frosting, in a large bowl combine heavy cream pinch of cream of tartar and 3 Tbls of sugar. Whip on high until thick and spreadable. Spread frosting onto chilled cake.
- To serve cut into squares and top with a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 15.3gSaturated Fat: 8.8gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 47.9gSugar: 38.4g